You may know that you lose bone density as you get older. Age isn’t the only thing that affects the strength and thickness of your bone. In your jaw, you can lose bone mass because of gum disease or tooth loss. It can be a problem if you want to get dental implants, since you’ll need a strong jaw to support them. Fortunately, Dr. McDuffie can perform bone grafts in Riverview.Build back your bone for a strong smile Read Transcript
Bone grafting is a larger category that incorporates ridge augmentation, but bone grafting is about preserving the bone when you extract a tooth so that the bone doesn't collapse. It's about building backbone in areas where we don't have enough in order to put an implant, or it doesn't have the proper contour for a bridge and you don't want a big gap underneath the bridge. So ultimately, bone grafting is about building or maintaining the foundation that we talked about when we're talking about reconstructing teeth and smiles that it's important that you not just focus on the tooth but what the tooth is housed in as well, and that's where bone grafting can help.
The most common reasons for receiving a bone graft are:
- Strengthening your jaw so it will better support dental implants
- Helping save teeth that have loosened because of advanced gum disease
- Maintaining your overall oral health
Dr. McDuffie will determine if you need a bone grafting procedure. To schedule an appointment with him, call 813-750-0826 today. If you need a graft and are worried about cost, ask about our Boyette Dental Membership Plan. You’ll make a low annual payment or monthly payments to cover the cost of routine care like exams, plus you’ll receive a 20 percent discount on other services.
Relax With Sedation During Your Bone Graft
The bone graft procedure is simple. Dr. McDuffie makes a small opening in your gums, then inserts a grafting material designed to encourage new bone growth. He then covers it with a membrane. He’ll numb your mouth with local anesthesia first, but you can also choose to receive dental sedation if you’re worried about discomfort.
At our office, you have three options:
- Laughing Gas – This sedative takes effect quickly when inhaled through a small mask. It also wears off fast, with no lingering grogginess.
- Oral Sedation – You’ll take a safe prescription medication before your procedure that will keep you calm and relaxed.
- IV Sedation – Administered intravenously, this form of sedation puts you in an almost dreamlike state. It’s common not to remember much about your procedure after it’s over.
For bone grafts in Riverview, call Boyette Dental at 813-750-0826 or use our to schedule online.