Many symptoms of gum disease, like bleeding gums and bad breath, are unpleasant. But if the disease advances to the point where your gums begin to pull away from your teeth, you’re at risk of losing teeth. Fortunately, we can prevent this from happening with gum grafts in Riverview.Regain healthy gums comfortably Read Transcript
Gum grafts are used for a couple of different situations. One, is where you've had some recession and you've exposed some sensitive root structure, that every time you brush or you drink something hot or cold, that it creates some sensitivity for you. It can also be used in a situation where you've lost some gum attachment and there's different types of tissue. There's types that are tightly bound to your tooth and some that are looser and it's like having a socket. You have elastic, it's nice and tight around your tooth. If the socket is loose, then it's open and stuff can get down in there and create problems, infections, irritations, the gums can be red and inflamed and the gum grafting is used to correct those situations.
A gum grafting procedure will:
- Cover unsightly tooth roots so your gums will look and feel healthier
- Stop the sensitivity that can occur when your tooth roots become exposed
- Prevent the bone and tooth loss that can happen in the advanced stages of gum disease
Your Gum Graft Will Go Well With Our Experienced Dentist & Sedation
During his residency in the U.S. Air Force and in his 20-plus years of practice, Dr. McDuffie has performed many kinds of oral surgery, including gum graft procedures. When you come to us for a gum graft, he will:
- Numb your mouth with local anesthesia so you won’t feel a thing
- Remove a small amount of tissue from the roof of your mouth or another area
- Carefully attach the tissue to the area where your gums are receding
- Provide you with guidance on oral hygiene and diet to encourage a fast recovery
While many of our patients need no more than local anesthesia, you can also receive dental sedation if you want it. Unlike many practices, we offer you a choice of three different kinds, one of which will offer the right level of relaxation for you. Whether you choose fast-acting laughing gas, an oral sedative, or IV sedation, we’ll carefully monitor you throughout your gum graft.
Prevent Gum Disease to Avoid Needing a Gum Grafting Procedure
Our team can help you prevent gum disease by checking for early signs of it during dental exams and by removing disease-causing bacteria during dental cleanings. It’s also important that you follow these oral hygiene best practices at home:
- Brush at least twice a day, with a fluoridated toothpaste and soft-bristled brush.
- Make sure you pay attention to the gumline when brushing, but don’t brush too hard as it can actually damage your gums.
- Floss daily to remove plaque from areas you can’t reach with your brush.
- Avoid tobacco use, as it has been linked to gum disease and oral cancer.
For gum grafts in Riverview, call Boyette Dental at 813-750-0826 or use our to schedule online.